Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A Simple Holiday

The holiday season is upon us and once again I find myself struggling with how to celebrate the season of gift giving while maintaining our minimalist objectives. How do I give gifts that celebrate the season without buying into the buying that has defined the holidays? Earlier this year I set upon a plan to knit a pair of warm and comfy socks for everyone on my gift list. I made a little progress at that, knitting four pairs of socks between March and October. But then I reached the end of my rope and just needed a break from sock knitting. Now I'm debating with myself - if I don't have a pair for everyone, should anyone get one? If I don't wrap these socks, what will I wrap? How do we celebrate simply without looking cheap?

I wish I could say I've got great answers to this question, but I'm stumped. I know we can reuse and recycle and that will help. But I also want the gift to be meaningful and useful to the recipient. I don't want to be just turning my 'stuff' into their 'stuff'. So once I again I find myself stressing about making this all work. I'd love to hear your ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment