Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Poverty vs Austerity

So our new place is bereft of counter space, having 18 inches to the right side of the stove and 36 inches to the left. And that is all. For more than a year the latte/coffee maker took up a good portion of that 36 inches. My daughter and her husband brew their coffee directly into their cups, sitting the filter basket atop the cup and pouring water from the tea kettle over the freshly ground coffee.

I recently decided to take back the counter space consumed by the coffee maker. I donated it to my neighbor and we started brewing coffee by pouring boiling water over grounds atop the coffee cup. One day during the first week of this new approach, DH turned to our three year old and declared "this is what poverty looks like."

He was joking - sort of. But it got me to wondering. When you are intentional about doing without something, isn't that austerity, not poverty?

No comments:

Post a Comment