Thursday, December 2, 2010

Another step

And now we are a bike-commuting family. We were proud of ourselves a few years ago when we sold the second car. We've been managing pretty much without issue ever since, having just a single motor vehicle. Every once in a while the logistics get a little hairy, but generally we do ok and don't miss that second car. Since our move closer to work last year I've been suggesting that we could now eliminate the remaining automobile. My partner has been pretty resistant to that idea, and the car has remained. But today the car left the state and now I get to make good on my assertion that we don't need a car in the city.

This morning was day one. I attached the new-to-us Burley double bike trailer to the back of my bike, affixed helmets on both munchkins and myself, and we were off. My poor bike has been locked up for over a year, so the muscles that move it forward were a bit surprised to be called out of retirement, but that's a change for the better. It was pretty much a non-event to be commuting to school and then work on the bike. I was pretty delighted to discover the "trunk" behind the seats in the Burley - plenty of room for my purse, book bag, and the kids stuff. Too cool.

In addition to the simplified, human powered transportation, we simplified the cable TV subscription this week - eliminating a pretty hefty chunk of that monthly bill (and the premium channels that went with it). We'd considered quitting completely, cold turkey, but ended up taking a less drastic first step in that area. Ah well, the good news is we're headed in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment